Although the specific cause of varicose veins remains elusive to science, there’s one thing here at our Chicago vein treatment practice that we’re sure about — a combination of certain factors increases one’s risk of the appearance of varicose veins. These factors include advancing age, positive family history, pregnancy, and limited mobility.
With such knowledge to back us up, we have come up with the following habits that you might want to incorporate into your current lifestyle to avoid the appearance of varicose veins:
1. Lose those extra pounds if you have any and for a weight that is proportional to your height and body frame. Your extra weight could put additional pressure on your legs resulting in weakened valves.
2. Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time. If you really need to sit for a long time, take a break every half hour or so and try to walk around the vicinity for a minute. On the other hand, if you need to stand for a long time, try to shift your weight from one leg to another every 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Incorporate leg-strengthening exercises into your fitness routine.
4. Limit use of tight clothing that constricts your waist, groins, and legs such as leggings, skinny jeans, and tights. Instead, use elastic support stockings if possible.
5. Avoid wearing high-heels all the time. Lower-heeled shoes tone your calf muscles which in turn helps improve blood circulation.
If varicose veins are causing you pain and discomfort, a consultation with a vein specialist should be in order!
Expert Varicose Vein Advice at the Chicago Vein Institute
Chicago Vein Institute (CVI) is a practice solely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of vein diseases. The experts at CVI perform the latest and most effective treatments for painful varicose veins, spider veins, and other vein-related disorders.
Learn more about the services we offer by calling our North Center location at 773-231-9884 or our Downtown Chicago location at 312-234-0750
2333 W. Irving Park Rd.
Chicago, IL 60618
*Free Parking Behind Building
6050 Sterling Creek Rd.
Portage, IN 46368
*Free Parking Available
See Portage Indiana Office Hours
Chicago Vein Institute is a practice solely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of vein diseases. The experts at CVI perform the latest and most effective treatments for painful varicose veins, spider veins, and other vein-related disorders. CVI offers minimally invasive treatment options, including Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA), Ambulatory Phlebectomy, Ultrasound-Guided Sclerotherapy, Surface Sclerotherapy, Elastic Compression Stockings and wound care for venous ulcers, performing more than 11,000 vein-related procedures annually.