Varicose veins occur when blood pools in a vein, stretching and damaging other structures within the swollen vessel. Those who are burdened with this condition often experience pain, leg cramps, heaviness, burning, throbbing, or restlessness in the affected leg. The veins are often quite visible, looking like dark blue or purple twisted cords on the lower extremities.
Varicose veins are a progressive disease that can lead to many different health complications if left untreated. Some of these complications include:
- Blood clots: The pooling of blood in a varicose vein can lead to stagnant blood flow, causing blood to clot in the insufficient vein. Clots have the ability to travel to other parts of the body and block blood flow, resulting in serious medical issues.
- Skin discoloration: Varicose veins that have had time to progress untreated can lead to a shiny, brownish-blue skin discoloration over the affected area.
- Venous statis ulcers: Ulcers caused by chronic venous insufficiency are usually quite painful and are very difficult to heal. While some of these ulcers can heal on their own, others cannot resolve until sufficient venous flow is restored through treatment.
- Atrophie blanche: This condition can arise after a skin injury when the blood supply is poor due to venous insufficiency. It is characterized by painful reddish or purple discolorations to the skin which can evolve into ulcerations.
- Lipodermatosclerosis: This condition involves an inflammation of the layer of fatty tissue that lies under the skin. It can lead to pain, abnormal skin pigmentation, and abnormal tapering of the legs.
If you are suffering from varicose veins or spider veins, don’t leave them untreated. Consider seeking an expert opinion. Learn more about the services we offer by calling our North Center location at 773-231-9884 or our Downtown Chicago location at 312-234-0750
2333 W. Irving Park Rd.
Chicago, IL 60618
*Free Parking Behind Building
6050 Sterling Creek Rd.
Portage, IN 46368
*Free Parking Available
See Portage Indiana Office Hours
Chicago Vein Institute is a practice solely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of vein diseases. The experts at CVI perform the latest and most effective treatments for painful varicose veins, spider veins, and other vein-related disorders. CVI offers minimally invasive treatment options, including Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA), Ambulatory Phlebectomy, Ultrasound-Guided Sclerotherapy, Surface Sclerotherapy, Elastic Compression Stockings and wound care for venous ulcers, performing more than 11,000 vein-related procedures annually.