Our veins play a vital role in the transportation of blood throughout the entire body. Blood helps to transport vital components like oxygen, carbon dioxide, nutrients, and blood cells that help your body to fight infection, balance temperature and pH, and maintain homeostasis.
Vein function and structure
Veins are equipped with special one-way valves that help transport blood back to the heart and prevent it from flowing backward. The body’s veins contain around 60 percent of the body’s blood and are important to cardiovascular healthy and other bodily functions. Each vein is made up of three different layers:
- An interior layer consisting of membranous tissue lined with endothelial cells
- A middle layer equipped with bands of smooth muscle
- A thick, outer layer made up of connective tissue
Types of veins
There are many kinds of veins, all with different functions and responsibilities, that keep the cardiovascular system running smoothly. Some of these veins include:
- Superficial veins -“ Veins that are found close to the skin’s surface.
- Deep veins -“ Veins located deep in the body with corresponding arteries.
- Communicating veins -“ Also called perforator veins, these veins directly connect superficial and deep veins.
- Pulmonary veins -“ Veins that deliver oxygenated blood from the lungs back to the heart.
- Systemic veins -“ Veins that drain the tissues of the body and deliver deoxygenated blood to the heart.
Get in touch
Chicago Vein Institute is a practice solely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of vein diseases. The experts at CVI perform the latest and most effective treatments for painful varicose veins, spider veins, and other vein-related disorders. CVI offers minimally invasive treatment options, including Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA), Ambulatory Phlebectomy, Ultrasound-Guided Sclerotherapy, Surface Sclerotherapy, Elastic Compression Stockings and wound care for venous ulcers, performing more than 8,000 vein-related procedures annually. Visit our sister brand, Chicago Cosmetic Institute, offering a full array of medical spa services including CoolSculpting, Liposuction, Botox, chemical peels and more.