If you suffer from varicose veins, surgery may be the best option. At the Chicago Vein Institute, we can provide you with the help you need to get rid of those unsightly purple, knotty lines that loom out on your skin. With our help, you can reduce the swelling and pain that can accompany it. Through a consultation, we can decide what type of surgery will provide you the best results.
In any credible medical facility, the doctors will be with you from start to finish. They will make certain you understand the different procedures. They will inform you about the length of recovery for each procedure. They will provide you with guidance, but let you make the final decision about the best varicose vein surgery for you.
Varicose Veins Surgery: Common Procedures
When it comes to treating your varicose veins, surgery is one of the major options you would consider. Different surgical techniques are used by different medical facilities. Among the most common procedures, you will find are the following:
- Ligation and Stripping: One of the oldest methods, and not very common these days, this treatment is generally recommended to those who have very severe varicose veins. Litigation is the procedure in which the vein is cut and then tied off. Stripping is the practice of pulling the vein (stripping it) out through a second hole.
- Phlebectomy: Varicose vein surgery of this type begins with the surgeon making small incisions at the point of the affected veins. He or she then utilizes a special type of hook to remove them.
- Sclerotherapy: A tried and true method dating back to the 1930s, this procedure consists of the injection of a salt solution into the varicose veins. Modern variations include microsclerotherapy and foam sclerotherapy.
- Endovenous Ablation Therapy (EVAT): Varicose vein surgery of this type relies on the technology of lasers or radio waves. They heat up and remove the problem. This type of surgery is considered one of the easiest to undergo.
- Endoscopic Vein Surgery: If you have advanced varicose veins, some that may include ulcerous growth, you may need to undergo this more intensive type of surgical procedure.
These are your current choices when it comes to varicose vein surgery. Which type you prefer will have an effect on your recovery time. Some, like laser surgery, will barely interfere with your daily routine. This is one of the reasons why it is very important that you talk to a professional, such as those at the Chicago Vein Institute before you commit yourself to one particular varicose vein surgery or treatment.