If you’re considering vein doctors in Chicago for your next procedure, you have many qualified candidates just outside your door. Before your first consultation, though, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
You should be ready to answer all of the questions your doctors asks with complete honesty. They can be pretty personal, but they are always being asked for a good reason. The question and answer process helps vein doctors determine good candidates for certain vein procedures.
Sometimes an ultrasound exam is also done to see your veins up close. This helps to pinpoint causes of vein problems as well as veins qualified for different techniques. Every vein issue is different and so are the procedures available to treat them in different situations.
Questions Vein Doctors in Chicago May Ask:
Depending on what type of vein you want to be treated, the questions asked will vary. For instance, for spider veins (thin veins you can see near the surface of the skin on the legs, feet, and face), your doctor may ask questions like:
- Have you suffered any injuries to the area the spider veins are occurring?
- Do you spend a lot of time in the sun?
- Have you explored ways to reduce the appearance of spider veins by losing weight, exercising or wearing compression stockings?
- Do you have a positive outlook and realistic expectations for improvement?
- Do you consider yourself to have a healthy diet?
- Are you willing to change it?
- Can you follow through with the aftercare instructions?
- What are your expectations from this procedure?
- Are you opposed to laser vein treatments?
- Are you opposed to needing downtime after the procedure?
For varicose veins, your doctor will look for characteristics like:
- Large veins that bulge into the surface of the skin
- Veins that are red, swollen, tender or warm to the touch
- A varicose vein that has begun to bleed
- Veins that are painful when touched
Then, he or she will likely ask you:
- Do varicose veins run in your family?
- Has the skin over your varicose veins recently changed in texture or color?
- Are you feeling pain, aching, cramping, fatigue or heaviness in your legs?
- Have you tried more conservative management techniques such as losing weight, being more active and wearing compression garments?
It seems like a lot of questions, but they may not need to ask them all. These are the kinds of questions that you should be prepared to answer and think about when meeting with a vein doctor. The more you know, the more productive your first consultation with a local physician will be. That is ALWAYS the case.
Vein Doctors Trusted by Chicagoans
At Chicago Vein Institute, we are singularly focused on diagnosing and treating vein diseases. Led by Dr. Mensur O. Sunje, a board-certified phlebologist, our vein specialists practice the most advanced treatments and technology to provide the highest standard of vein care in Chicago. It’s time to look and feel your best — give us a call today.