How many times have you read or heard about varicose veins as unsightly or unattractive? Probably, a million times, right? If you haven’t noticed, both words pertain to varicose veins as a cosmetic issue. For most of our patients here at our Chicago vein treatment practice, there’s more to varicose veins than making you stop wearing shorts and skirts whenever you want to.
By and large, the appearance of varicose veins leads to the following symptoms:
- cramping, throbbing, or a sharp aching pain that could get worse after sitting or standing for long periods of time
- sensation of heaviness
- formation of rashes which could be extremely itchy
- darkening of the skin around the varicose veins
- restless legs
Potentially Dangerous Health Problems Resulting from Varicose Vein Formation
- Skin ulcers or sores due to chronic pooling of blood. Improvement occurs once venous insufficiency is treated.
- Phlebitis (inflammation of veins) could occur as a result of malfunctioning valves.
- Superficial thrombophlebitis. , Imagine a free-flowing stream and a stagnant pond. The latter describes the state of your blood when you have varicose veins resulting to formation of those superficial clots.
- When a clot is formed in deeper areas of the vein, it could result to a condition referred to as deep vein thrombosis (DVT). It may not cause any significant problems but can actually prove to be fatal when it travels to essential organs such as your lungs and brain.
- Insufficient circulation in your legs could lead to considerable swelling, which in turn could increase your risk for bacterial and fungal infections.
Although there are conservative measures that you can take to prevent formation of varicose veins (elevating your legs, wearing compression stockings, regular leg exercise), they are not often effective in treating severe formation of varicose veins.
Expert Varicose Vein Advice at the Chicago Vein Institute
Chicago Vein Institute (CVI) is a practice solely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of vein diseases. The experts at CVI perform the latest and most effective treatments for painful varicose veins, spider veins, and other vein-related disorders.
Chicago Vein Institute is a practice solely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of vein diseases. The experts at CVI perform the latest and most effective treatments for painful varicose veins, spider veins, and other vein-related disorders. CVI offers minimally invasive treatment options, including Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA), Ambulatory Phlebectomy, Ultrasound-Guided Sclerotherapy, Surface Sclerotherapy, Elastic Compression Stockings and wound care for venous ulcers, performing more than 11,000 vein-related procedures annually.